EO 13693, Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade
- The President signed the Executive Order (EO) 13693 on March 19, 2015.
- Implementing instructions from the Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) were issued on June 10, 2015.
- EO 13693 revokes:
- EO 13514 "Federal Leadership in Environmental Energy and Economic Performance";
- EO 13423 "Strengthening Federal Environmental, Energy, and Transportation Management";
- "Implementation of Energy Savings Projects and Performance-Based Contracting for Energy Savings" Memorandum;
- Section 1 of "Driving Innovation and Creating Jobs in Rural America through Biobased and Sustainable Product Procurement" Memorandum;
- Federal Leadership on Energy Management" Memorandum; and,
- As of 1 October 2015, "Federal Fleet Performance Memorandum.
Purpose of the EO
- The goal of EO 13693 is "to maintain Federal leadership in sustainability and greenhouse gas emmission reductions."
- EO 13693 directs Federal agencies to:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Promote building energy conservation, efficiency, and management
- Increase use of renewable and alternative energy
- Improve water use efficiency and management
- Improve fleet and vehicle efficiency and management
- Improve building efficiency, performance, and management
- Promote sustainable acquisition and procurement
- Advance waste prevention and pollution prevention
- Implement performance contracts for Federal buildings
- Promote electronics stewardship
- DoD established the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Energy, Installations, and Environment as the Department of Defense's Chief Sustainability Officer.
- The Sustainability Steering Committee established under EO 13514 continues to implement and meet the goals of EO 13693.
- DoD continues to develop an annual Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan (SSPP), which identifies performance-based goals and sub-goals, provides a methodology to meet the goals including investment strategies, and outlines a plan for reporting on performance.
- Internal DoD guidance on EO 13693 was issued on April 4, 2016.
EO 13693 Federal Guidance
- EO 13693 - Planning for Federal Sustainability in the Next Decade
Federal Register, Vol. 80, No. 57, Wednesday, March 25, 2015
EO 13693 was signed by President Obama on March 19, 2015, and revoked EOs 13514 and 13423, among other memoranda. The goal of EO 13693 is to maintain federal leadership in sustainability and greenhouse gas emission reductions.
- Implementing Instructions for EO 13693
These instructions, dated June 10, 2015, provide Federal Executive departments and agencies with clarifying instructions for implementing EO 13693.
EO 13693 DoD Policy Memoranda
- Chief Sustainability Officer Designation Memorandum to CEQ [202 KB]
June 1, 2015
Memorandum to CEQ designating the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Energy, Installations, and Environment as the Department of Defense’s Chief Sustainability Officer.
- Chief Sustainability Officer Designation Memorandum to OMB [195 KB]
June 1, 2015
Memorandum to the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) designating the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Energy, Installations, and Environment as the Department of Defense’s Chief Sustainability Officer.
- Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction Target Letter to CEQ [201 KB]
June 17, 2015
A letter to CEQ submitting the Department's proposed scope 1, 2, and 3 greenhouse gas emission reduction targets as required under section 2 of EO 13693.
- Greenhouse Gas Emmission Reduction Target Letter to OMB [373 KB]
June 17, 2015
A letter to OMB submitting the Department's proposed scope 1, 2, and 3 greenhouse gas emission reduction targets as required under section 2 of EO 13693.