EO 13514, Federal Leadership in Environmental Energy and Economic Performance
- The President signed Executive Order (EO) on October 5, 2009.
- EO 13514 did not rescind/eliminate the requirements of EO 13423, but instead expanded upon the energy reduction and environmental performance requirements with added emphasis on sustainability and greenhouse gas emissions
Purpose of the EO
- The goal of EO 13514 was "to establish an integrated strategy towards sustainability in the Federal Government and to make reduction of greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) a priority for Federal agencies."
- Directed Federal agencies to:
- Increase energy efficiency
- Measure, report and reduce greenhouse gas emissions from direct and indirect activities
- Conserve and protect water resources through efficiency, reuse, and stormwater management
- Eliminate waste, recycle, and prevent pollution
- Leverage agency acquisitions to foster markets for sustainable technologies and environmentally preferable materials, products, and services
- Design, construct, maintain, and operate high performance sustainable buildings in sustainable locations
- Support sustainable communities
- DoD established Dr. Ashton Carter (Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics) as the Senior Sustainability Officer
- A Sustainability Steering Committee was established with a charter and objectives to facilitate execution of the DoD Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan
- DoD developed a Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan (SSPP) in accordance with EO 13514, which identified performance-based goals and sub-goals, provided a methodology to meet the goals including investment strategies, and outlined a plan for reporting on performance.
EO 13514 Federal Guidance
- EO 13514 - Federal Leadership in Environmental Energy and Economic Performance [115 KB]
Federal Register, Vol. 74, No. 194, Thursday, October 8, 2009
EO 13514 was signed by President Obama on October 5, 2009. This EO expanded on the energy reduction and environmental performance requirements for federal agencies identified in EO 13423. The goal of EO 13514 was "to establish an integrated strategy towards sustainability in the Federal Government and to make reduction of greenhouse gas emissions a priority for Federal agencies."
EO 13514 DoD Policy Memoranda
- Senior Sustainability Officer Designation Memorandum [50 KB]
November 18, 2009
Deputy Secretary of Defense letters to the Office of Management and Budget and Council on Environmental Quality designated USD(AT&L) as the Senior Sustainability Officer.
- Leadership in Environment, Energy, and Economic Performance Memorandum [687 KB]
January 6, 2010
Deputy Secretary of Defense memorandum requested the Military Department’s leadership and support in implementing EO 13514.
- Implementing Executive Order 13514 Memorandum [696 KB]
April 12, 2010
USD(AT&L) memorandum requested each of the Military Departments and the Defense Logistics Agency to designate its own sustainability official who was responsible for executing sustainability goals and metrics.