Rules and Regulations
Federal Acquisition Regulation Part 23
Federal Acquisition Regulation Part 23—Environment, Energy and Water Efficiency, Renewable Energy Technologies, Occupational Safety, and Drug-Free Workplace
Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) Part 23 prescribes acquisition policies and procedures supporting the Government’s program for protecting and improving the quality of the environment, and to foster markets for sustainable technologies, materials, products, and services.
- Reducing or preventing pollution;
- Managing efficiently and reducing energy and water use in Government facilities;
- Using renewable energy and renewable energy technologies;
- Acquiring energy-efficient and water-efficient products and services, environmentally preferable (including EPEAT-registered, and non-toxic and less toxic) products, products containing recovered materials, non-ozone depleting products, and biobased products;
- Requiring contractors to identify hazardous materials;
- Requiring contractors to comply with agency environmental management systems. FAR Part 23 has evolved over time to direct Federal agencies in the procurement of environmentally sound products including biobased, energy efficient, and EPEAT-registered products.