News and Success Stories Home
The SPC provides you with the latest and greatest for sustainable procurement information and products! Included are articles and success stories on new procurement programs and policies, sustainable procurement initiatives, and product demonstrations.
Please review SPC's Completed and Ongoing Demonstrations.
DLA/NDCEE Biobased Penetrating Lubricant Demonstrations
The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Aviation Hazardous Minimization and Green Products Branch and the National Defense Center for Energy and Environment (NDCEE) demonstrated biobased penetrating lubricant products at numerous DoD facilities. The maintenance activities within the participating installations found the biobased penetrating lubricants to be acceptable alternatives to their currently used petroleum based products. As a result of these demonstrations and installation requests for these products, DLA Aviation revised CID A-A-50493 to add a Class A – Biobased and established National Stock Numbers for biobased penetrating lubricants. For more information on this demonstration please Click Here.
DLA/NDCEE Biobased Sorbent Demonstrations
The Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Aviation Hazardous Minimization and Green Products Branch and the National Defense Center for Energy and Environment (NDCEE) demonstrated biobased sorbents at numerous Department of Defense Installations. The maintenance activities within the participating installations found that the biobased sorbent products met their operational needs and in many instances outperformed currently used non biobased products. As a result of these demonstrations and installation requests for these products, DLA Aviation established National Stock Numbers (NSNs) for biobased sorbents products. For more information on this demonstration please Click Here.
Defense Logistics Agency: Bio-Based Cutlery
DLA is working to transition DoD to 100% bio-based cutlery. DLA Troop Support just purchased another $16 million of the 50% bio-based content cutler from LC Industries, the long term National Institutes for the Blind supplier of cutlery to the DoD and GSA. Meanwhile, U.S. Army Natick has just finished evaluating and testing 100% bio-based product will be ordered in late FY 2011 or early FY 2012. The Subsistence Directorate has identified other DoD supply chain items for conversion to 100% bio-based content, all of which are presently being evaluated. These items include the J-spoon or Meal Ready to Eat plastic spoon, Unitized Group Rations plastic serving utensils and heater tray, and Arctic Meal Module clamshell.
U.S. Marine Corps: Sustainable Procurement Initiatives at MCB Hawaii MCB Hawaii
MCB Hawaii developed a site-specific Green Procurement Plan to set up a framework to ensure compliance with procurement requirements for daily purchases. The framework spans Energy Star products, EPA’s Water Sense standards for water-efficiency products, products registered with EPEAT, alternative fuels, alternative fuel vehicles, and a variety of green products such as low volatile organic carbon paints, cleaning products and carpeting. MCB Hawaii purchases recycled ceramic tiles and Energy Star appliances, and uses a carpet contractor that recycles carpet. The base has phased out plastic bags and purchases recycled-contet grocery bags. MCB Hawaii provides awareness level training for all people in the process, including contracting officers and specialists, purchasing personnel, and credit card holders, and it distributes Green Products Compilation updates. MCB Hawaii is developing web-based training for all sustainable procurement product areas, and it requires refresher training every two years. Audits identify inappropriate purchases and implement corrective actions such as a suspension of credit card privileges and re-training prior to card reactivation.
- Reeves, Airman 1st Class Magen. “Testing New Bio-Based Vehicle Oil.” 20th Air Force, 341st Missile Wing Public Affairs, 6 Apr. 2016, www.20af.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/825634/testing-new-bio-based-vehicle-oil/.
- Reeves, Airman 1st Class Magen. “Malmstrom Mechanics Testing New Bio-Based Vehicle Oil.” U.S. Air Force, 341st Missile Wing Public Affairs, 24 Mar. 2016, www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/703571/malmstrom-mechanics-testing-new-bio-based-vehicle-oil/.
- Williamson, Airman 1st Class Ashley. “Seymour Johnson AFB First to Test New Fueling Initiative.” Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, 4th Fighter Wing Public Affairs, 28 Jan. 2016, www.seymourjohnson.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/662301/seymour-johnson-afb-first-to-test-new-fueling-initiative/.
- Levine, Jay. “NASA Helps Test New Engine Oils.” NASA, 18 Apr. 2018, www.nasa.gov/centers/armstrong/features/nasa-helps-test-new-engine-oils.html.
- Martin, Sarah, and Annie Reisewitz. “DOD Tests Environmentally Friendly Motor Oil.” National Geographic Society Newsroom, 31 Aug. 2016, https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2016/08/31/dod-tests-environmentally-friendly-motor-oil/
- Erbe, Chris. “Slick Solution.” Defense Logistics Agency Loglines, July – August 2016, pp. 35–36. https://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documents/Headquarters/Loglines%20PDF%20files/Loglines%20July-August%202016.pdf?ver=2016-07-07-110649-113
- Dubois, Airman 1st Class Kaylee. “Langley, Other Sites to Test Bio-Based Grease.” 633rd Air Base Wing Public Affairs, 24 Feb 2017. https://www.defense.gov/Explore/News/Article/Article/1094683/langley-other-sites-to-test-bio-based-grease/
- Dubois, Airman 1st Class Kaylee. “Langley 1 of 4 AFBs to Test Bio-Based Grease.” 633rd Air Base Wing Public Affairs, 22 Feb 2017. https://www.acc.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1091435/langley-1-of-4-afbs-to-test-bio-based-grease/
- Pilot Test Biodegradable Bowls, Cups
By Julie Smith, Northwest Guardian, May 23,2013
This Northwest Guardian article provides information on the biobased compostable food service ware demonstration at Joint Base Lewis McChord.
- A Greener Mess Hall [57 KB]
By Andy Medici, Federal Times, October 8, 2012
This Federal Times article provides an overview of biobased compostable food service ware demonstration at Joint Base Lewis McChord.
- Sustainable Procurement Support and Green Product Demonstrations at DoD Installations [429 KB]
Mr. David Asiello and Mr. Calvin Lee
A presentation given by Mr. Asiello and Mr. Lee at the 2012 GreenGov Symposium on September 2012 providing and overview of DoD sustainable procurement initiatives and green product demonstrations.
- DoD Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan [1.33 MB]
Mr. David Asiello
A presentation given by Mr. Asiello at the 2011 Environment, Energy Security & Sustainability (E2S2) Symposium & Exhibition on May 12, 2011 providing and overview of the DoD Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan (SSPP).
- Defense Logistics Agency: Fulcrum For Greening DoD [1.93 MB]
Mr. Calvin Lee
A presentation given by Mr. Lee at the 2011 Environment, Energy Security & Sustainability (E2S2) Symposium & Exhibition on May 11, 2011 detailing DLA sustainable procurement initiatives.
- Department of Defense Sustainable Procurement Policies and Supportive Initiatives/Green Product Evaluation and Demonstration Program [507 KB]
Mr. David Asiello and Mr. George Handy
A presentation given by Mr. Asiello and Mr. Handy at the 2012 World Congress on Industrial Biotechnology and Bioprocessing on May 2, 2012 providing and overview of DoD sustainable procurement initiatives and green product demonstrations.
- SGT Marshowsky and SGT Cine Discuss the Performance of Biobased Hydraulic Fluid Demonstration Products
- Mr. Doug Lister, MCMWTC Environmental Compliance Manager Discusses Sustainable Product Demonstrations
- Mr. Brendon VanBeuge, MCMWTC Southwest Regional Fleet Transport (SWRFT) Fleet Manager Discusses Sustainable Product Demonstrations
- Captain Anthony Reynolds, MCMWTC Maintenance Management Officer Discusses Sustainable Product Demonstrations