New Project Selections
On Sept. 15, the National Defense Center for Energy and Environment (NDCEE) announced the FY20 technology projects for demonstration/validation (Dem/Val). The NDCEE is a Department of Defense (DoD) program that addresses DoD’s high-priority environmental, safety, occupational health and energy (ESOHE) technological challenges. Innovative technologies are demonstrated and validated at active DoD installations for military application. Proven technologies are transitioned to the DoD Services, other federal agencies and to the public. Implementing technologies to enable the Army to fight and win our nation’s wars are in accord with the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Installations, Energy and Environment, the Honorable Alex Beehler, who stated “the Army needs to build a ‘technology-enabled’ force by 2028.”
Awarded Dem/Val technology selections are based on Mission/Readiness, Technical Quality, Transition Potential and Modernization/Improvement. Examples of technologies currently under investigation include: portable monitoring devices to identify environmental contamination at forward operating bases to protect solider health and safety; measuring whole body vibration to soldiers in rotary wing aircraft to aid in developing mitigation strategies; reduce vehicle fuel requirements through fuel cell modifications; and minimize paratrooper accidents during jumps through jump exit data recording and analysis.
The Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Army (Environment, Safety, and Occupational Health) is designated by the Assistant Secretary of the Army (Installations, Energy & Environment) as the NDCEE DoD Lead Agent. The US Army Environmental Command provides NDCEE Program Management. Transitioned projects will ensure the NDCEE program remains an enabler in accomplishing the DoD mission with an emphasis in “Achieving Dominant Capabilities through innovation and technical excellence.”
The following projects were selected to begin in FY 2020.
- Wastewater Evaporators as Aqueous Film-Forming Foam Mitigation Strategy at Firefighting Training
- Mobile Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances Removal System to Support Warfighter Aircrafts and Carriers
- Ruggedized Automatic Critical Power Transfer Switch: Advanced Medium Mobile Power Source Automatic Transfer Switch (AMATS)
- Agile Power Extender for Remote Operations: Power-Extender Grid Source (PEGS)
- Improved Bucking Bar to Maximize Worker Performance & Health
- Remote Emergency Generator Monitoring
- Charging-capable Li-ion Autonomous Safe Storage Interservice Container (CLASSIC)
- Compact High Density Tactical Energy Storage (CHDTES)
The call for NDCEE Project Proposals is March, 1st every year. For additional information on the NDCEE or on how to submit a nomination package, please click here.