Cultural Resources News and Outreach
- Cultural Resources Update - Summer 2020 [4.09 MB]
- Cultural Resources Update - Winter 2020 [7.94 MB]
- Cultural Resources Update - Summer 2017 [5.22 MB]
- Cultural Resources Update - Summer 2016 [2.38 MB]
- Collaboration for Preservation, Construction, & Infrastructure Based on Transition Career Training - Webinar Recording, 2019 MP4 [118.56 MB]
This webinar provides an overview of program replication options within DoD for Secretary of Interior Standards historic preservation projects in collaboration with DoD installation Departments of Public Works and military design and construction units, that improve transition for greater numbers of active duty Servicemember participants. The webinar discusses examples of projects/training over the last ten years and associated non-profit/federal training-based contracting, regulatory compliance, cost reduction, scheduling, safety, and quality assurance approaches. Tanya Komas, Concrete Preservation Institution, and Boris Kun, Director, Workforce, Credentialing & SkillBridge Programs OASD(Readiness)/ODASD(Force Education & Training) OUSD Personnel Readiness.
- The ACHP Fall 2019 Webinar Series [280 KB]
The Advisory Council on Historic Preservation is offering four online webinars this fall. Webinars include: “Defining the Area of Potential Effect,” “Planning for Successful Section 106 Agreements,” “So you think you need a Programmatic Agreement (PA)…,” and “Resolving Disputes in Section 106.”
- Tribal Historic Preservation Office Memoranda of Agreements
In June 2019, the National Park Service entered into Tribal Historic Preservation Office Memoranda of Agreements with the following Tribes:
- Salt River Pima-Maricopa Indian Community of the Salt River Reservation, Arizona
- Pascua Yaqui Tribe of Arizona
- Hoh Indian Tribe
- Manzanita Band of Diegueno Mission Indians of the Manzanita Reservation, California
To access the contact database for these and a complete list of Tribes with historic preservation functions, please click on the link above.
- Advisory Council on Historic Preservation Chairman
On June 27, 2019, the U.S. Senate voted to confirm Aimee Jorjani as the first full-time chairman of the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation (ACHP). The December 2016 enactment of the National Park Service Centennial Act, which amended the National Historic Preservation Act (NHPA), turned the current part-time chairman to a full-time position. Ms. Jorjani will complete the four-year term that began in January 2017.
- Administrative Update to DoD Instructions (DoDI) 4715.16, Cultural Resources Management
In 2017, Washington Headquarters Services (WHS) made administrative updates to DoDI 4715.16, Cultural Resources Management, with a redline version called "Change 1." These revisions included updates to legal references and some Office of the Secretary of Defense and other Military Service reorganization name changes. The WHS recently published the incorporation of the 2017 redline administrative edits in a new version of DoDI 4715.16, called "Change 2," dated August 31, 2018.
2018 Sustaining Military Readiness Conference
The Department of Defense (DoD) hosted the 2018 Sustaining Military Readiness (SMR) Conference from 13-16 August 2018 in St. Louis, Missouri. This Conference provided a forum in which to explore the interdisciplinary nature of sustaining military capacities with broad representation from the installation, testing, training, and environmental communities. The DoD Cultural Resources and Native American Affairs Programs co-hosted four workshops during the conference. Sessions brought together cultural resource management subject matter experts and their installation partners to encourage discussion and solution identification, as well as camaraderie.
- Training Resources and Needs in Cultural Resources Management and Native Affairs Workshop - Presentation, 2018 [3.50 MB]
This presentation is from the Training Resources and Needs in Cultural Resources Management and Native Affairs Workshop at the 2018 Sustaining Military Readiness Conference. The workshop discussed available tribal consultation training resources for Federal and non-Federal employees.
- Training Resources and Needs in Cultural Resources Management and Native Affairs Workshop - Summary, 2018 [134 KB]
- Cultural Resources Management and Tribal Consultation Tools Workshop - Presentation, 2018 [2.91 MB]
This presentation from the Cultural Resources Management and Tribal Consultation Tools Workshop at the 2018 Sustaining Military Readiness Conference. The workshop discussed Federal laws and regulations regarding tribal consultation and cultural resources management as well as tools for consultation, including Integrated Cultural Resources Management Plans, Programmatic Agreements, and Tribal Consultation Protocols.
- Tribal Consultation and Cultural Resources Management Practitioners Panel - Presentation, 2018 [1.19 MB]
This presentation is from the Tribal Consultation and Cultural Resources Management Practitioners Panel at the 2018 Sustaining Military Readiness Conference. The panel discussed Federal laws and regulations and cultural resources planning regarding tribal consultation and sacred sites.
- How Tribal Consultation Training Supports the Mission of My Range - Presentation, 2018 [6.30 MB]
This presentation is from the How Tribal Consultation Training Supports the Mission of My Range Workshop at the 2018 Sustaining Military Readiness Conference. The workshop discussed government-to-government consultation with Federally recognized Tribes and Federal laws, regulations, policies, and responsibilities regarding tribal consultation.
Training courses related to cultural resources management, consultation, and historic preservation are available at the links below. Some links are DoD-affiliated, and others are external.