Historic Structures, Districts, and Landscapes: Guidance
Evaluating Routine Architecture by Famous Architects
- Work of a Master? Addressing Evaluation of Routine or Prosaic Architecture by Famous Architects on Military Facilities - Report 2017 (Legacy 15-779) [11.56 MB]
This document outlines the challenges of evaluating military buildings under the "work of a master" standard of NRHP Criterion C and details research and analysis approaches. The guidance contains case studies and reference tools, including an annotated list of standard sources for performing evaluations, a reference checklist, and guidance on consulting with SHPO reviewers. JRP Historical Consulting, LLC.
- Work of a Master? Addressing Evaluation of Routine or Prosaic Architecture by Famous Architects on Military Facilities - Fact Sheet, 2016 (Legacy 15-779) [62 KB]
Military Architectural Style Guide
- The Architecture of the Department of Defense - A Military Style Guide - Report, 2011 (Legacy 10-129) [11.78 MB]
This report chronicles the evolution of military architectural styles and provides guidance for their identification. Michelle Michael, Adam Smith, and Jennifer Sin.
Design Guidelines for DoD Historic Resources
- Design Guidelines for DoD Historic Buildings and Districts - Report 2008 (Legacy 07-382) [6.26 MB]
This document provides assistance to installation-level staff who are not trained in historic architecture by providing a better understanding of why it is important to preserve the resources, what they are, the vocabulary to describe the resources, and how to interpret the Secretary of the Interior's Standards to appropriately manage the resources. The guidelines provide sound guidance and necessary tools for individuals to facilitate the Section 106 review process of the National Historic Preservation Act through the avoidance of adverse effects to historic buildings and districts. Heather McDonald and Michelle Michael.
Evaluating Military Resources under Criterion B
- Assessing Cultural Resources on U.S. Military Installations through the Application of Criterion B Report, 2011 (Legacy 10-347) [627 KB]
This document offers guidance on the use of Criterion B eligibility under the NRHP including methods for identification of properties that may be listed under Criterion B, and guidelines to assess a property's significance under Criterion B through a written history. A case study from Marine Corps Base Quantico, management recommendations, and five principles to guide mitigation measures for adverse effects to properties eligible under Criterion B are included. Jayne Aaron & Karstin Carmany-George.