Nominations for the Secretary of Defense Environmental Awards to be recognized in 2019 are due by March 1, 2019, using the guidance issued by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Energy, Installations & Environment). Each Military Service and Defense Agency may submit one nomination for each of the six Installation and three Individual/Team award categories listed in the guidance for accomplishments during the period October 1, 2016 through September 30, 2018. The Secretary of Defense Environmental Awards have honored installations, teams, and individuals for their outstanding achievements in Department of Defense environmental programs each year since 1962.
The Department of Defense has announced the winners of the 2018 Secretary of Defense Environmental Awards. The nine winners chosen from the 35 nominations are:
- Natural Resources Conservation, Small Installation: Hawaii Army National Guard
- Natural Resources Conservation, Individual/Team: Natural Resources Conservation Team, Naval Base Ventura County, California
- Environmental Quality, Non-Industrial Installation: Fort Hood, Texas
- Environmental Quality, Individual/Team: Mr. Frederick A. Javier, 1st Special Operations Civil Engineer Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Florida
- Sustainability, Industrial Installation: Marine Corps Logistics Base Barstow, California
- Environmental Restoration, Installation: Vandenberg Air Force Base, California
- Environmental Restoration, Individual/Team: Vieques Environmental Restoration Team, Puerto Rico
- Cultural Resources Management, Large Installation: Camp Ripley, Minnesota Army National Guard
- Environmental Excellence in Weapon System Acquisition, Large Program: Combat Rescue Helicopter Program Environment, Safety and Occupational Health Team, Wright Patterson Air Force Base, Ohio
The Department of Defense established the annual Secretary of Defense Environmental Awards in 1962 to honor individuals, teams, and installations for their outstanding achievements and innovative environmental practices.
Environmental Awards Memo & Guidance: