Natural Resources Program Overview
The Department of Defense's (DoD) Natural Resources Conservation Program (NR Program) provides policy, guidance, and oversight for management of natural resources on nearly 25 million acres of military land, air, and water resources. The NR Program's goal is to ensure continued access to realistic habitat conditions to support the military's combat readiness mission, while simultaneously working to ensure the long term sustainability of our country's priceless natural heritage.
The NR Program 's primary responsibilities are to:
- Oversee development and implementation of natural resource-related policy, guidance , procedures, and metrics;
- Ensure Military Service compliance with legislative obligations Executive Orders, and DoD policies;
- Inform Congress, the DoD community, and other interested parties of the programs challenges, responsibilities and accomplishments;
- Manage DoD-wide natural resources funding programs; and
- Partner with external stakeholders, including non-governmental organizations (NGOs), states , and other federal agencies.