Military Munitions Response Program Updates
• DoD established the MRD to foster communication and collaboration between representatives from the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), DoD Components, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), State environmental regulators, and Federal Land Managers (FLMs). These entities will use their experiences and expertise to exchange views, information, and advice relating to managing or implementing the Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP).
• The MRD has held three face-to-face meetings to date, with the most recent meeting taking place on May 6-7, 2014, in Arlington, Virginia. During this meeting, MRD attendees participated in breakout sessions to discuss land use controls; and advanced classification technology, including data quality, Quality Assurance Project Plans, and training. The group also talked about scoping for a new Workgroup to discuss underwater munitions issues.
• The next MRD meeting will take place on August 5-6, 2014, in San Luis Obispo, California. The meeting will include observation of the unexploded ordnance advanced classification technology that DoD is using at the San Luis Obispo Formerly Used Defense Site. OSD is hosting the MRD meeting in San Luis Obispo to allow DoD, State and Federal regulators, and FLMs to observe and discuss real-time quality control and quality assurance procedures for advanced classification.
Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) Demonstrations
• DoD is committed to transitioning advanced classification for regular use in the private sector. Advanced classification improves the efficiency of munitions cleanup by discriminating between UXO and harmless metal objects (e.g., horseshoes, iron rock, fragments, munitions debris) with almost perfect reliability.
• DoD has completed or is in the process of conducting classification site demonstrations at 17 sites to date. Demonstrations are currently underway for Hawthorne Army Depot, NV; Fort Bliss, TX; Former Camp Ellis, IL; Former Waikoloa Maneuver Area, HI; Former Southwestern Proving Ground, AR; New Boston AFS, NH; and Guam; with a comprehensive “end-to-end” demonstration planned for San Luis Obispo, CA in the summer of 2014.
• For more information about the UXO demonstrations, please visit this website.
• For more information about the dangers posed by UXO and munitions of concern, please visit this website.