Military Munitions Response Program Updates
Munitions Response Dialogue (MRD)
•DoD established the MRD to foster communication and collaboration between representatives from the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD), DoD Components, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), State environmental regulators, and Federal Land Managers (FLMs). These entities use their experiences and expertise to exchange views, information, and advice relating to managing or implementing the Military Munitions Response Program (MMRP).
• The MRD has held five face-to-face meetings to date, with the most recent meeting taking place on January 7-8, 2015, in Arlington, Virginia. At the meeting, members of the MRD discussed: advanced classification, including developing an accreditation program; the updated Quality Assurance Project Plan; the target of interest library; and training. The group also discussed issues surrounding land use controls and underwater munitions.
• DoD is planning the next MRD face-to-face meeting for June 9, 2015, in Denver, Colorado in conjunction with the Environmental Security Technology Certification Program Advanced Classification Technology Transfer Workshop. MRD members will have the opportunity to attend the workshop, which will include lectures, field demonstrations, training sessions, and panel discussions about the transfer of advanced classification to the public sector.
• DoD developed a fact sheet to provide information about each of the groups and their activities to transition advanced classification to more common use in the field.
Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) Demonstrations
• DoD is committed to transitioning advanced classification for regular use in the private sector. Advanced classification improves the efficiency of munitions cleanup by discriminating between UXO and harmless metal objects (e.g., horseshoes, iron rock, fragments, munitions debris) with almost perfect reliability.
• DoD has completed or is in the process of conducting classification site demonstrations at 22 sites to date. Demonstrations are currently underway for Hawthorne Army Depot, NV; Fort Bliss, TX; Former Camp Ellis, IL; Former Waikoloa Maneuver Area, HI; Former Southwestern Proving Ground, AR; New Boston AFS, NH; and Guam. DoD completed a comprehensive “end-to-end” demonstration in San Luis Obispo, CA in August 2014 with participation from MRD members.
• For more information about the UXO demonstrations, please visit this website.
• For more information about the dangers posed by UXO and munitions of concern, please visit this website.